Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Wildcard!!

My "wild card" just took place yesterday. I'd been wondering about what to write for a while now, throwing a few things from the past back and forth in my head. These past few weeks have been so uncontrollably busy with school, family, sickness, and drills, that I'd set this assignment on the back burner...at least until yesterday when I needed the Internet most, and lost all access.

The time was approximately 07:24 on Monday morning as I approached the gate. I sat with my car idling behind three cars who appeared to have been waiting for a good minute or so. A line was unusual at this time of the morning. Typically, it's a simple matter of handing your identification to the sentry, acknowledgment by the sentry, and being waived through the gate. This morning someone was attempting to enter the base without proper identification. I waited as the vehicle finally packed it in and made a u-turn, exiting the base while several guards watched intently. The line began to progress through the gate. I showed my id, and was waived in. I found my usual parking spot, grabbed my cover, my books, my purse, and locked up my vehicle for another day in the hot sun.

My supervisor and I had been exchanging emails the prior week regarding an active duty assignment I wanted on the other side of the country. I found the assignment easily on the Internet, and was able to determine my eligibility and everything I needed to do in order to apply for the subject position. I was even able to google the forms which needed to be completed in order to apply. The only thing left to uncertainty was, who would I get to recommend and endorse me? I was determined that this Monday morning drill would bring forth a resolution to my issue as this was the last day the assignment was open to package submission.

I was able to schedule a meeting with the Reserve Commander at 12:30, and upon doing so became very nervous. Command does that to me. During the meeting, my commander put me at ease with her quick wit and obvious desire to see me get what I wanted. I gave her the form I had completed at home on-line; however, she wanted to make some additions concerning my qualifications, etc..., and felt this only proper via the computer. She was intent not to turn in a sloppy, hand-written form to her command. Hence, I went back to my office and emailed the form to her from my computer so she could make revisions as she saw fit. Then, I waited...and waited...and waited.

Finally, at about 13:45, she stopped by my office and advised she was unable to edit my document - she tried repeatedly with to avail. I offered to pull it up while she was in my office, but she advised she was on her way to a meeting and I would need to cut and paste comments which she had just emailed to me, myself. She said she would stop by after the meeting to pick up the revised document and she would bring it to the captain herself for his signature. I attempted to gain access to the computer once again, but this time something odd happened...my access card didn't work. According to the computer, my credentials were not valid. There was no way for me to access my email or gain entry to the computer system. I became frantic! Not only would this jeopardize my chance to obtain a position I really wanted, but it could also make me look incompetent in front of my superior. I went to the access card office and found a line of two people before me, and I was advised they would take approximately 30-40 minutes a piece. My day ended at 15:30, as did most active duty military. This means that submission for the package was to be complete and formally submitted no later than 15:30. My world was about to fall apart around me. My husband and I were already looking at school districts in the new location, rental properties, jobs for him, and really looking forward to leaving the area we'd grown so tired of. Aside from all of that, my husband already has several members of his family living in the new area...we were really hoping this would all come through for us. I didn't have the heart to tell him otherwise...

At 15:10, my turn in line finally came. After more than an hour in line, my card was checked and deemed to work properly. I didn't understand how that could be - I had tried two different computers. I went to the back of the office and tried a third...whalahhh! It worked. I was on-line and able to pull up the form, get the recommendation off of my email, and finalize the document. As I pressed print, my commander came through the doors, and thanked me for making her job a little easier. Wow, was that close!

I realize this story dives a bit out of the computer limelight, but the ups and downs are all dependant upon the Internet. It is a necessity to me and many others. I could complain all day long about the Internet, but make me live without it for too long and you'll really hear complaints!! I could not have applied for that position in a timely manner had I not had the Internet. Sure, I might have avoided some , but I couldn't have gotten the package to Washington without it.

1 comment:

Savanah J Berg said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog! I thought it was written really well, and it kept my attention. After reading your issue with the internet and technology it made me think that my issue wasn't nearly as important as yours was. I had an internet problem with an online class, but you were dealing with something that could change the rest of your life. It made me think about how many different roles in our life are focused around the internet. Big issues and little ones highly depend on our online resources. Much of the readings throughout this class have discussed dependency on the internet, and with this weeks blogs I think we become very aware of that.