Saturday, February 23, 2008

Three Generations of Interviews

It is amazing how differently dissenting generations view the Internet and our world's modern technology, all the while sharing so much of the same interests in what they use it for.

For my first interview, I chose to interview my 19 year old son. I must confess, I went into this interview mistakenly thinking I knew each and every response to each and every questions laid out. I actually believed I knew him well enough to skip the formalities of the assigned interview. Fortunately, for the sake of the assignment and my own wonderful discovery, I chose to proceed with my questions. I erroneously thought all he did on his computer was play useless, time-consuming games and use Myspace for frequent friendship maintenance. To my surprise, I found that he occasionally shops on the Internet for things not found in Fort Hood, Texas. I was astonished to find that he actually checks the weather where he is in Texas, as as well as where we are in Florida - he cares. :-) Surprisingly, I found that since he's been in the military, he has taken on a crucial interest in our government's political system. All too often, young adults don't exercise their right to speak, to vote, and to be heard. Secretly, I would love to think my children have learned from my political messages and that they feel the same way I do; however, what's truly important is not that they feel the same way I do, but rather, that they educate themselves and use that knowledge to make informed decisions and speak, vote, and be heard. Overall, my son is extremely comfortable with the Internet and modern technology. For him, nothing has changed as he has been using a computer and our unending technology since grade school. He knows no other way.

My sister is 49 years old and lives about three hours south of me in Miami. According to her, the primary reason for using the Internet is to maintain contact with high school friends. We grew up in New Jersey and my sister was quite the athlete in school. She was very popular with her peers as the St. Peter's High School, Class of 1977, Class Clown. She chats with friends from school weekly and they even visit each other on occasion. She and her husband also own a sports bar in Miami Lakes, and therefore, they regularly keep up with the local competition and restaurant/bar trends. She frequently downloads software from the Internet to update menues, create new business cards, and pay bills. She hires employees with the use of the Internet and also purchases items for the restaurant, ie: food, furniture, equipment, etc.. on the Internet. Furthermore, her husband is an avid gambler, but much more resistant to the modernities afforded by computers and technology. Therefore, she has taken on the role of checking sports statistics for him via the Internet. Aside from that, she doesn't do much except some personal shopping. The Internet has changed her life dramatically as she had lost touch with many of her classmates from school due to her lack of desire to write and the amount of time she spent away from home. Fortunately, she was introduced to Classmates.com which ultimately served as a conduit to her long lost friends. She is also well-aware of the extensive time it would take to maintain the restaurant without the convenience of the Internet. She feels adequately comfortable on the Internet and can find her way around as needed, but like me, sometimes forgets the vast materials and information available to her.

I didn't feel comfortable asking my Uncle Bill and Aunt Rita their ages, so let's just say they are definitely over 61. Uncle Bill and Aunt Rita live about two hours north of us in Springhill, Florida, and are my husband's uncle and aunt. They are probably the closest relatives to our hearts whom we still have with us. They have three children whom we also love dearly and who have their own families. All of their children presently live in the state of Florida; however, in addition to family get-togethers, they use the Internet as a means of contact amongst themselves and their children, and their grandchildren. Their children often send them pictures of their grandchildren on the Internet. Aunt Rita occasionally uses the Internet to shop, but much prefers the physical act and instant reward of "real" shopping, as she calls it. Uncle Bill is slightly more Internet savvy and has branched out to check the weather and keep up with current events on the Internet. He enjoys shopping on the Internet more than Aunt Rita, but I think that's just the testosterone.

All interviews considered, clearly the Internet is a staple for the younger generation and a bit of a challenge to those over 35. I knew coming into this assignment that would be the general feedback, but I was surprised and incredibly happy to find that some of the younger generation, particularly my son, are becoming political minded and keeping up with current events and the world around them. I was particularly surprised to find the similiarity in interests on the Internet among all three generations.

3 comments:

bdavis said...

I thought that your blog was really good, and a lot of what you found in your blog I found in mine, looking at the generations and seeing who used the internet a lot more then others and what they did on the internet was the most suprising part. I found it interesting that the younger generation would be more into just checking Myspace and Facebook more then really doing homework or important things on the internet. The crazy thing is, is that a lot of older adults are learnng to use the internet a lot more now, then before.

kaylajane said...

From the blogs I have read so far, I’m noticing that many of the 61 and older generation use it for shopping. But I can understand how you aunt prefers real shopping. Maybe this is because she has done “real” shopping all her life, that shopping online can create some difficulties. The more you are on the Internet, the more you will discover. I have also noticed that like your son in the younger generation, the level of comfort people have has a lot to do with how often and what for they use this Internet. I also like how you discussed that your sister’s life has been changed because she can now speak with those she went to high school with using classmates.com. Maybe with the younger generation, losing touch with high school buddies will not be a problem thanks to Internet communities such as MySpace and Facebook.

Suzziq said...

That's so funny, you're family sounds like mine. I was not supprised by my brothers responses, I'm glad that you were pleasantly surprised by your sons responses. I wish my brother was concerned with current events, politics, anything besides video games and myspace! It's interesting how diverse different individuals internet usage is. It is something that you can't generalize at all.